Monday, May 16, 2011

Letter Dated September 23, 1864, from Hugh Young Spence to Martin V. Barkley

Here is a letter dated September 23, 1864, from Hugh Young Spence to Martin V. Barkley:



I transcribed the letter a few years ago. It was difficult to read, so if fresh eyes see something a little differently than I did, please don't hesitate to let me know.

In the trenches Petersburg Va.
Sept. 23, 1864Mr. M. V. Barkley
Dear friend, I seat myself to day to write you a few lines in answer to your kind letter which I received and was glad to hear from you. I am not very well but I hope these lines will reach and find you well. I have had diarrhea for some time and it still pesters me greatly. Day before yesterday morning I got slightly wounded by a small piece of a shell. It struck me on the calf of the leg breaking the skin in a small place. It is very sore but I am up doing duty. Well, Martin, I have no strange news to write you. I would be glad to see you for I could tell you more than I can write.

(Pg. 2) Lieut. King has written you all the news I suppose, about General Hampton's breaking into ??? meathouse and robbing it. It is also reported Early has been defeated in the valley. Things remain near the same here but we are expecting a hard time at ?? Well, Martin, I would be the gladest in the world to be at home. I think I could get well if I was at home. But I fear it will be a long time before I get home if ever. Dear Friend you must excuse my short letter. I hope to hear from you again soon. So no more but remain yours truly, H. Y. Spence to M. V. Barkley

No comments:

Post a Comment