Monday, May 16, 2011

Letter Dated May 28, 1864, from Daniel Dendy to His Sister

Here is a letter dated May 28, 1864, from Daniel Dendy to his sister:



I transcribed this letter a few years ago and have posted that transcription here. If fresh eyes read something a little differently, please let me know.

Camp near Bottoms Br. Va.
Sunday May 28 1864
Dear Sister,
Your very interesting letter came to hand some four days ago and was glad to hear that you are again well. This leaves me well and all of your acquaintances in this company. I have nothing new to interest you. I suppose you see the dispatches and are better posted concerning this awful war than I can tell you. Gen. Lee has been doing some awful fighting and Beauregard defeated Butlere on the south side. Ewell engaged the enemy on this side of the Chickehomne last p.m. on the Mecawichsville Turnpike and drove him across the river. I could hear the canonading verry distinctly. My impression is we will have a warm time here around Richmond in a few days. It is useless for me to try to tell you anything concerning the two contending armies for I know nothing. Our command is scattered. We

(Pg. 2) Three companies down hear with us. The others are higher up the river. I have never heard from Sam Lowe, only the yankee prisners say that they captured one of our couriers and he is the only one missing. I will have to close as the mail leaves soon. Write soon direct as before.
Your brother, Daniel Dendy

No comments:

Post a Comment