Friday, April 29, 2011

Letter Dated May 20, 1864, from William Willis Slatten to George Slatten

This is a copy of a letter dated May 20, 1864, from William Willis Slatten to George Slatten:





I transcribed the letter a few years ago and am posting that here. If fresh eyes see something a little differently than I did, please let me know.

Spotsylvany C. H.
May 20th/64 Va.
Dear Son,
I received yours the 10th and was glad to hear from you. It is so seldom that I ever heare from home. I am sorry to informe you that I am very sick at this time. I have ben very unwell for several days. I feare I am going to have a searvear spell before I get better but I hope I will recover soon. It has been from exposure, I think. It has been very bad weather heare for the past weak leaveing our winter quarters and being exposed to the wet ground is the course of me suffering so, I think, after we left camp for 5 or 6 days was very dry and warm and then it comenced raining and it rained for a weak but to day is a pretty day. I

(Pg. 2) hope it will continue to be so. If I was with you I could tell you the newes concerning the campain witch is going on heare but I cant give you a feull history of it in riteing but I can tell you we have had one of the bloodyest campains so far that ever has ben since. The war theare has ben harder fighting than we have ever had yet. The yankeys have ben more stuborn and determine than they ever have ben with us. We have lost a great many men out of our army but they say nothing to what the yankees have lost. Our regt. has ben in two very harde battles since we left camp and suffered severly in wounded but not many kiled.

(Pg. 3) The first fight they lost 10 kiled and 84 wounded but the most of them was slite som very slite. It was on the 5th & 6th of this month. The last fight was on the 12th. Our regt. had som 60 wounded and som 8 or 10 kiled that they know off but theare is several that is missing. They cant tell how many is kiled for certain. They have ben in line of battle for 15 days night and day. They have fighting every day more or less untill to day. Theare has ben no firing up to this time 12 oclock but they may commence before night. Theare was not much yesterday untill in the evening late and they commence and fought untill after night. Som times they fight all night but

(Pg. 4) they have not don much damage so far in fighting at night. The two armys are in sight of each other all the time. Our men just lay in theare brest works and waits for them to charge. I no but very little about the battle field as I am at the hospittle somthing neare 2 miles from the line. I have ben very buisey atending the wounded untill I was compelled to take my bed but I hope I will get better in a few days. If not I think I shall go to Richmond or som other hospittle if we have to leave heare soon. I dont no how I will get alonge. Rite as soon as you get this and give me the news. Give my love to all of the familey. I remain your affectionate farther till death,
W. W. Slaten

No comments:

Post a Comment