Sunday, June 7, 2015

Diary of Algernon Hilton, July 1849

1st - Sunday.  Father still well.  Hyram went to town.  I went down to old man Colen's* in the forenoon.  About 12 had an ague & then a hot fever for several hours, then sweat profusely 4 or 5 hours.

2nd - Feel very well this morning & evening.  Hyram got out pieces in the forenoon to put on finished rafters to hold the lower purlins.  In afternoon him & me put 10 large door frames together.  We raise again tomorrow.

4 - Was sick yesterday again, but feel very well this morning, altho weak.  Hyram raised some yesterday morning but a steady heavy rain of 2 or 3 hours stopped him, & he is now today raising again.  He will finish this forenoon, all the light stuff, such as little rafters, lath, etc.  This is the anniversary of our independence.  There is no difference between this or any other day on this place, everything is going on as same as usual.

5 - This was my sick day, but I missed being sick today.  So I hope that my spell is done for this summer.  I worked a little this afternoon framing little rafters.

7 - At dinner time.  I worked yesterday framing little rafters & today so far, but I shall not work any this afternoon, but go down to old man Colen's*.  Hyram will finish framing the rafters in 2 or 3 hours now.  I imagine we will raise them if nothing happens to prevent us.

9 - Monday evening.  Yesterday stayed at home all day reading the most of the time.  All of us well.  All well today also.  We raised all the small rafters on high part of the house today.  I put on some lath.  It rained this afternoon & hindered us considerable.

10 - Hyram sick a little today.  Did not work any.  Edgar & myself lathed nearly all day.  It rained an hour or so again this afternoon.  I am tired tonight.

11 - It did not rain any here today.  Hyram has been to work all day.  By breakfast time tomorrow we will have all the lath on, & then for shingling.

14 - Day before yesterday it rained steady from daybreak in the morning til noon.  None of us done anything yesterday.  I hung the doors to stable in forenoon.  In afternoon finished lathing & sawed the lathing off at each end.  Hyram did nothing yesterday on account of having the fever the night before.

15 - Yesterday Hyram made a small door frame for the grand house.  Made about 1/2 day.  I worked a stone chimney.  Made about 1/2 day.  Lost part of the other half by rain.  I think of going to town tomorrow.  I shall put 1/2 dozen Frontier magazines in the post office directed to as many different people.  One to Daniel Arden, one to Henderson Umble, one to Robert Logan, one to Thomas Rollins, one to W. C. Rollins, & one to Francis C. Holt.

16 - Went to town.  Spent between 15 & 20 dollars.  Sent the magazines.  Hyram worked about 1/2 of the day.

18 - In evening.  Yesterday Hyram & myself made full time.  Father made 1/2 of a day today.  Hyram something over a 1/2, myself a full day.  Yesterday forenoon I raised part of the stone chimney.  Since then have been to work at door shutters.  Yesterday it did not rain here but it commenced today some after dinner & rained all the afternoon.

19 - Hyram did not work today.  I made nearly a day.  Father 1/2 day.  It rained a considerable of a shower this afternoon.  I have been to work today at stone chimney.

21 - Yesterday P. T. Hickman came into our shop yesterday.  Said when he first came in that he had concluded to have the bridge built that I had mentioned some 3 or 4 weeks before.  Father opposed it & he went away without making any bargain.  I candidly think that Father done wrong in opposing the bridge.  We had considerable talk about it & I may have said more than I ought to.  Still that does not release him for being the first in the wrong.  I worked 1/2 day yesterday at door shutters & I have worked 1/2 day today.  Hyram worked all day yesterday & expects to make a full day today at door shutters.

24 - Yesterday Hyram and Father commenced the shingling.  Made a full day.  Edgar & me worked at stone chimney.  Made a full day.  Stayed at home all day on Sunday the 22nd reading nearly all day the novel called Dombey and Son.

25 - Yesterday Hyram made 1/2 of day.  Lost 1/2 on account of having the chill in the afternoon.  Father made 1/2 day.  I made a whole day at stone chimney.  Today I worked a 1/2 on roof & a 1/2 on stone chimney.  Father made a full day.  Hyram made 1/2 day.

26 - Today we only made 1/2 day each.  Lost the other 1/2 by rain.

27 - Father & me made full time at roof.  Hyram has been taking medicine to keep off the chill, but he has had it this evening little.  I received a letter from Uncle John today.  He has received no letter from me since February.  My last letter to Uncle John had a ten dollar bill in it.  I have wrote 3 letters now that he has not received.  I shall not write immediately now again.  Today is Friday.  I will write on Sunday & send to post office the first opportunity.

28 - I made a full day today.  Father a 1/2 day & Hyram none at roof.  I wrote a letter today at noontime to Uncle John & I expect the letter will be put in the office tomorrow.  I wrote to him pretty much what I wrote in my last.

29 - Sunday.  Uncle John's letter was put in the office.  Today in the forenoon rode down to Mr. Colen's* & back in afternoon.  Read nearly all the afternoon.  Was reading the novel called Wat Tyler or The Bondman.

30 - In forenoon Father & myself made 1/2 day each.  In afternoon it rained a slow drizzle.  Rain all the time.  Edgar was taken with fever this forenoon.  Mr. Hickman is very much afraid that we will be overflowed here as the news is that the river above is higher than it ever was known before & still rising.

31 - Father & myself made 1/2 day each.  Lost the other 1/2 by rain.  Edgar has had no fever since yesterday evening.  The reason of Hyram's not working is that his jaw is swelled very badly & it is painful.  The river is rising very fast.  They are driving up stock & making preparations for an overflow.  I hope it won't come.


* - As this journal was written phonetically, it is possible this name was meant to be Collins rather than Colen.


Back to June 1849


Diary of Algernon Hilton, August 1849

No comments:

Post a Comment