Sunday, June 7, 2015

Diary of Algernon Hilton, June 1849

Here begins a diary of Algernon Hilton, possibly already in progress, as there were a few torn pages in the original journal.  However, since we learned from his obituary that Algernon was joined by his father, Theophilus, and his brothers Hyram and Edgar, in 1849, maybe this is where he chose to begin his journal.  Algernon and his father and brothers were carpenters, building some of the plantation homes in Louisiana, it seems.

******************************************************************************** 

10th - Sunday:  Father and myself went down to old man Colen's* to see about getting sewing done by a woman that lives with him.  A niece of his, I believe.  It has been a tolerable warm day.

11th - Father and myself framed at the roof all day.  We framed 14 principal braces and 7 straining beams.  Today has been another warm day.  Hyram has been tending to sick negroes all day.

12th - Received a letter from Uncle John.  He stated in his letter that he had not heard from us in a long while.  Now I have wrote two letters to him since I received his last.  This letter received today was dated May the 24th - 1849.  He states that Cousin Carolyn is not expected to live.  I answered Uncle John's letter, wrote to him about the cholera, about the storm that took place on the 26th ult.**, about our various prospects ahead and etc.  Father and myself worked today framing at raising plates.  Hyram tending to sick negroes.

13th - Sent word to Uncle John to pay the subscription for another year of Frontier magazine and Star, sent a ten dollar bill.  Was a present to Purvis and Emy.  Worked today at raising plates.  Hyram worked 1/2 day.  The other 1/2 he lost in consequence of setting up two or 3 nights before with sick negroes.  It has been a pleasant day, a good breeze blowing all day.  I send at the same time I send my letter to Uncle John, a half dollar to the publication of the "World We Live In" to pay for volume forty of the paper.

14 - Worked today at purlin plates, framed two strips of one hundred and sixty feet each.  In the next letter I write to Uncle John, I shall tell him of Father's taking Lobelia*** from mistake and the rest of us thinking it was cholera, etc.

15th - Framed two strips of purlin plates today 90 feet long each.  It was very warm in the fore part of the day but has been very pleasant since 10 P. M.

16th - In the morning framed the wall plates to the perjeri****.  Worked from nine A. M. til six P. M. making a derrick made of two pieces 30 ft. long with 11 pieces framed across 5 ft. wide at bottom and one at top.

17 - Sunday.  This has been a very pleasant day.  I have been no place today, reading and writing in the forenoon.  In the afternoon laid down and slept 2 or 3 hours.  Wrote a letter today to Mistress Jan Rigmund who lives in St. Landry Parish.  Sent the letter to the care of Daniel Arden.  I wrote a very short letter, not knowing whether it will be answered.

18 - Framed little braces, made pins and keys & etc. today.  Father is sick, has had some fever and a bad headache all day.  Hyram has been giving him medicine this afternoon.  He gave him No. 6 Baberi & Lobelia.  Father thinks he is better this evening.  Talked with P. T. Hickman today about building a bridge.  Got no satisfaction as to whether we will build it or not.

19th - Father went to work in the forenoon, but this evening has a high fever again.  Hyram and myself has been to work on door frames for the perjeri****.  It is three days now that I have not been in one of my fits of passion such as I get into nearly every day.  At any rate every other day.  I hope I can keep from them after this more than I have done heretofore.

20th - Hyram and myself worked at door frames.  Father is better than he was yesterday.  Edgar read all the alphabet today at dinner, so he went a hunting in the afternoon.  The bricklayers came this evening so I suppose we will raise our roof in 4 or 5 days from now.

21st - Father is sick with fever this evening.  Hyram has been giving him medicine freely.  I worked at the big frames all day.  Hyram 1/2 day.  I felt nearly sick just before dark myself.  Took a dose of sulfur with a little No. 6.  T & P Hickman both here to dinner today.

23rd - Dinner time of day.  Yesterday worked at big frames.  Father was not sick yesterday but is sick again today.  I am to work today on girders, having them cantilevered & sawing them off & framing them.  Hyram worked at the frames til 11 A. M. but is now tending to Father and will continue tending to him this day out.  9 P. M. The Holts and Hendy had a row this evening.  Jawed and talked an hour or more.  I shall not pretend to tell what it was about.  Father's fever has gone off again which will be the last time I hope that he will have it.  We had a fine rain this evening.  It is now a week without a fit of passion.

24 - Sunday, I went down to the ferry in forenoon to carry some stuff for pantaloons & to get some clothes that was made.  Father has some fever this evening.  I am sick myself with fever this evening.

25 - Breakfast time.  I was sick last night with fever.  Took Lobelia & got into a fine sweat by midnight & this morning feel very well.  We commenced raising the sugar house roof this morning up to this time have not got much done.

26th - 11 A. M. yesterday was sick myself & Father was pretty sick also.  But we are both better today.  They raised 7 girders yesterday.  Hyram is framing girders today.

27th - About 11 A.M. yesterday the fever came on Father again, but he is better this evening.  I do hope that this will be his last spell.  I also hope that I am going to escape with what I have had.  Hyram is to work on girders today.

28th - Was angry with Edgar this forenoon & got into a fit, for the first time in ten days.  I shall try & make the next spell longer without a fit.  Father is still sick, has a fever today.  I feel better today than I have since Sunday.  Hyram is to work on girders today.  He expects to finish framing enough for the high part of the house this evening & I suppose they will raise tomorrow at the roof again.  I hope that tomorrow & next day will see the main part of the roof raised.

29 - This is Father's sick day & he has no fever.  At 12 all the girders were raised & they are now rasining***** the top framing.  Between 12 & 1 there came up a very heavy rain, but it lasted but a few minutes.  I am well today.  I do hope this will be the last of mine as well as Father's sickness.  I am going out to see them raise now in a few minutes.

30 - Father is still well & myself also.  All the bents is raised except 3.  We will not raise anymore now til Thursday.  Hyram expects to go to town tomorrow.
  
*******************************************************************************

* - As this journal was written phonetically, I imagine it's possible the name was Collins rather than Colen.

** - My mother's glossary indicated this meant "in the past month".  Indeed, I found that it is from the Latin "ultimo" and means "in or of the month preceding the current one".

*** - My mother's glossary indicated this was a medicine extracted from a plant.  My additional research found that lobelia was sometimes used as a purgative, and excessive use could cause nausea and vomiting.  Cholera, being an acute diarrheal illness caused by a bacterial infection of the intestine, could have been mistakenly diagnosed for an overdose of lobelia.

**** - According to my mother's glossary, this word was written as spelled phonetically, but neither she nor I could find the correct spelling or meaning.

***** - I spelled this word as typed in my mother's book, but she didn't specify if she had typed it as written, or if this is a typo.  Not sure if the word is supposed to be "resining" or "raising".


Diary of Algernon Hilton, July 1849

No comments:

Post a Comment