Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Letter Dated April 18, 1862, from A. Campbell to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley

Here is a copy of a letter dated April 18, 1862, from A. Campbell to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley:


I transcribed the letter a few years ago. If you see an error, please let me know and I will correct it. Thanks.

Sullivan Island April 18th 1862 1 1/2 oclock
J. B. O. Barkley, Dear Sir,
I take the opportunity to let you know that we are generaly well, our mess all well. I nothing of interest to write you & not more than 10 minuets to write. Please buy some dried peaches for our mess. We will settle with you when you return. N. S. Gambrell wants you to bring some corn meal from his house for his chicken. We are all doing fine & in very good spirits, health very good considering so many. Sorry to hear of Martin being sick. I must close or not get it of to day. Nothing more. Yours truly,
Lieut. Van I guess will go home this evening, I am not certain.
A. Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment