Monday, April 18, 2011

Letter Dated February 1, 1862, from J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley to Martin V. Barkley

This is a copy of a letter dated February 1, 1862, from J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley to Martin V. Barkley:





A few years ago I transcribed the letter as follows. If you see I have transcribed a word incorrectly, I would welcome hearing from you.

S.C. Feb 1st 1862
Sullivans Island Charleston
Dear brother, I take my pen in hand to write you a few lines to let you know that I am well hoping that theas lines may find you and all the rest well when they come to hand. I received your letter you sent by L. J. Scott and the 500 bill you by him. I was glad to git the money and still glader to hear from you for it has bin some time sinse I had heard. I hant got the money nor letter you spoak uf sending by J. W. Major. I doant think that Jo will be hear in somtime from what I hear. If Joab comes down in a few days he

(Pg. 2) may fetch it to me or if you have got it back you may keep it for I can maik out to come home if I git the chance. I wrote to you to send me som money by S. E. Moore but you may let that a lone for I think I can make out without you sending me aney moore money. I think I will git to come home in a week or two if the still keep on furlowing and I think the will. This has bin a big day hear to day. Colonel Orr resined his colonels commission to day and left at 1/2 after one oclock. We all met up at the Moultrie House at 10 oclock this morning and the colonel maid his fair will address to us

(Pg. 3) and then we went and got our dinner and then met at the colonels quarters and march down to the wharf where we bid him a due and returned back under the comand of Col. Marshal Lead better is Leut Col & Livingston is Major. It was a very sollom time when the col left but I hope he will do us as much or moore good where he is a goin for we nead a good senitor. Martin, I want you to have lather a nuff to make me 2 pair of shoes. I want thin lather for the uppers, I want you to have good soal so have all

(Pg. 4) if I git the chance to come home. Tell Mrs. Margaret Stone that I heard from Thadious 2 days ago, he is thout to have the measels. Tell Mrs. Johnson that her son is in our company and is well. James Watson, M. W. Gambrell, Wm. Turner, W. Leavell, T. W. & J. M. Fowler, & R. E. Cartee & L. J. Scott is all well. Tell Reuben Wilson not to start back to soon for I want to see him. Give my best respects to all the neighbors & friends, so no moor but remaning your loving brother to death, J. B. O. Barkley / M. V. Barkley
Write soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment