Thursday, April 21, 2011

Letter Dated November 18, 1862, from George R. Barkley to Josiah and Elizabeth Barkley

This is a copy of a letter dated November 18, 1862, from George R. Barkley to Josiah and Elizabeth Barkley:



A few years ago I transcribed the letter as follows. If anyone sees where I transcribed a word in error, please let me know and I will correct it.

Nov 18 1862
Camp near Kinston N.C.
Dear Farther and Mother, sisters, brother, I seat my self this eavning to write you a few lines which will inform you that I am well and I hope these few lines will find you all well. I have nothing new to write. I have drawed my money and I will send home 70 dollars and Jasper King is going to send 20 dollars in with mine and I want you to send Nancy King twenty dollars if you pleas. I will send it by David Engram. If you get it I want you to write to me for I will want to heare. I want you to pay my dets and then use the rest if you want it. I wanted to draw Martins but they said they could not unless you artharised him to pay pmt. to me. If I could have drawed it I could sent it to you so I will close that subject. Our boys is all in tolerble health. Greenlee Elison came back from the hospital this eavning.

(Pg. 2) I want you to write to me all the news. I will send Mother and Lousindia a book The Second Battle of Manassas and you can tell something about whar I have went through. I want Eliab to write to me what Jeff Hallum owes him. He ses he will pay it to me, so will close for this time as Mr. Enghram is going to start. Give my love to all enquir friends. Jasper King is well and sends his respects to you all. J. T. Stone is well, so farewell, write soon. I remain youre affectionate son and brother till death, G. R. Barkley to Farther, Mother, sisters, and brother one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment