Sunday, April 17, 2011

Letter Dated September 27, 1861, from Eliab Hazard "Elip" and Anna Lucinda McCalister Barkley to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley

Here is a copy of a letter dated September 27, 1861, from Eliab Hazard "Elip" and Anna Lucinda McCalister Barkley to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley:



I did my best to transcribe this letter a few years ago, but I welcome fresh eyes that may see some words better than I did:

South Carolina Anderson District Sep 27th 1861
Dier Brother I tak this opertunity of riting you afiew lins to let you know that wee ar tolreble well at this time & hoping thes lins may find you in goin the saim blessing for God kind mircy to us all. Wee resevd 2 letters from you and was glad to hear from you. Wee have nothing of importince to rit. Wee hear a grait deel of news but dont know that it is so or not. Martin was herar day befor yesterday and your father famley was well. Brother Jess Allen McCalister and his wife has bin over to see us all. He has inlisted and is coming to Fourt Johnson. That is not fair from whear you ar. I reckon this is as wet a day as i ever saw. I have bin thinking all the morning about you a bein out in sutch weather. I saw a letter from Columbus Rogers last Sunday, he had bin sick but was better. Eliab and mee went to Whight field last Sunday night to meeting and i saw Miss Jane Vonn. She asked mee when i was agoin to rit to you. I told her that i shold rit in afiew days. She told mee to tell you that she saw father and mother fowlar and sis was well. James Watson sent Elep a letter in th one you sent mee. Was glad to hear that he was well. (moton?) was hear yesterday to hear from him and tha was all well. Elep is a goin to rit on the other sid of letter and i shall have to close. I shold bee glad to see you. I want you and James to have likeness takin in one bace and send it to mee, so no mor at this time, from under the hand of A. L. Barkley to J.B.O. Barkley.

(Pg. 2) Sunday 29th
Well Neal, Elep did not feel like riting eney so i have to finish this letter. I want to send it off to morrow. Mr. Mrs. Shirley takin dinner with us to day and told me to tell you to tell Stephen Jones that tha was well. Neal, James B. Willson wife is died. She died 27, that was last Friday. George went to the berien and com by to day from thar. Martin and Vehoon was hear to day and said that tha was all well. Wee want you to rit offton as you can for you have more to rit then we do but i will rit sumthing. Elep sas to tell James Watson he saw Will and Bluford yestarday at th Whight plains and tha was all well. I have heard that thar was a grait deel of sickness whear you ar. I hop not so bad as I hear. Rit all about the helth of th place. So I want you to excuse my bad riting and spelling as it is th best i can do, so no mor at this time. Remains yours loving brother and sister untill deth, E. H. Barkley and A. L. Barkley to J. B. O. Barkley
Write to me with out fail

No comments:

Post a Comment