Friday, April 22, 2011

Letter Dated June 5, 1863, from Martin V. Barkley to Josiah and Elizabeth Barkley

Here is a copy of a letter dated June 5, 1863, from Martin V. Barkley to Josiah and Elizabeth Barkley:



I transcribed this letter a few years ago as follows. Please let me know if you find that I transcribed a word incorrectly.

Camp near Jackson Miss
June 5th 1863
Dear father and mother, brothers & sisters, I write you a few lines which leaves me tolerble well. My thumb is nearly well. I had a sick spell 2 days ago, but I am getting over it. George left here yesterday morning. He heard that I was not well. He came down with some butter milck which done me a heap of good. Recv'd yours of 24th May and you dont no ho glad I was to hear from you but I was still moore sorry to think that you was on the train. I did not get to see you on the account of the Holcum Legion being fools. I was sorry to think that that box I sent & salt had not come threw. There must be something rotten some where. I sent the receipts of the salt by Mary Oldham which you have rec'd. I want you to keep them & try if the salt don't come to get my $53.00 from the railroad co. That is the Wilmington Manchester Road. I was glad to hear you stood your trip tolerble well to Charleston

(Pg. 2) District as before to Jackson. I am your humle son till death. Write soon & I will try to do the same.
E. V. Elrod and all the boys except Lieut. Bryant, he will be in to night-6. I was very sorry to hear that M. T. Walker was dead. They said he died at Columbia & they sent him home. We are under marching orders to march out in the direction of Canton in Big Black and have but little time to write. I think there is an awfull bloody fight in a short time. The yanks have been marching on Vicksburg for the last 20 days. We can hear the cannon plain. I saw Wm. Duncan yesterday. He is in 40th Al. Regt. Capt. Bramlett's brother preached for us last night. He believes this will be the last battle. Eliab & Lucinda, I rec'd your kind letter you sent from Charleston 2 days ago. I will write you a long one in a few days. Give my respects to all the girls. Tell them that the girls of Georgia, Ala., and Miss. are a laying off their hoops & I think peace will come for pride goith before distruction. Father I was glad to hear that you & george were geting along with your crop. The neighbor boys are all well except J. King. He is still complaining. My respects to Mr. Foley. May God continue His many mercies. Fare well for this may be my last, M. V. Barkley

No comments:

Post a Comment