Monday, April 25, 2011

Letter Dated October 18, 1863, from George R. and Martin V. Barkley to Their Family

Here is a copy of a letter dated October 18, 1863, from George R. and Martin V. Barkley to their family:





I transcribed the letter a few years ago as follows. Fresh eyes may see something a little differently, and I welcome any suggestions.

South Carolina Comp. 18th Regt. Lagrees Pint, James Island / October 18th 1863
Dear father and Mother, Brothers & Sisters, I we write you a few lines to let you know we are well hoping these lines may find you all well. We received your kind letter & we was glad to hear from you & to receive your kind favors in the box Blake got. All is quiet here. We hear of a great battle a being fought at Manassas, Va. It is thought that we wont have to stay here but about one week longer. The Col. thinks we will go back to Mount Pleasant where we left. They read out the boys sentence last eavning on dress parade. G. R.'s sentence forfeit one month pay & police the streets 2 hours each day for fifteen days. Blakes the same. H. Y. Spence forfeit 20 days pay & police the streets for ten days. E. V. Elrod has to mark time on a box 2 hours each day for fifteen days and forfeit one months pay. It seems heard but justice will come some day to stripes & bars as well as poore privates. Gods will be done.

(Pg. 2) D. C. Kelly has to double quick 10 minuts in every hour for 6 hours in the day for 10 days, forfeit one months pay. Mrs. Stone and Ellison arrived night before last. They look well & are a doing fine. Dr. Daniel Pope quit our regt. last week. Dr. Tolon suceeds him. He has done more for the regt. already than Pope had done for the last 6 months. E. H., you can do as you pleas about sending Popes shoes for he told me to be sure to have them made & then he left without saying one word about his shoes. Do as you think best. If I had them here I could sell them at almost any price. I cooked the cabbage you sent to day & G. R., myself and all the boys in our mess is all goiley after eating greens. George is as cheerfull as you ever saw him. Fifteen days wont be long. Neal a wanted to no how long we would stay here. I cant say though. I think we will go to Mount Pleasant in one week for we only come to stay here 2 weeks. I can not in sist on you a coming here till we get back to the brigade or Mt. Pleasant for you can come on to Charleston and

(Pg. 3) & get with some wagon. If T. Lenard Blake comes with you, you could get here very easy. The only disadvantage is it is 9 miles from here by land and we are on regular duty every other night or picket. George ses he wants you and Mr. Blake to come down in about 15 or 20 days and buy your salt. You can get it for 12 1/2 to $20, that is $12.50 for soldiers with families or widowed mothers, 3 bushels each. The agent was here today. You come as soon as you can. George wants you to bring him some 20 or 25 dollars for the Col. sais we wont draw any money till Christmas & he will need it. George wants his hat & knife. I want my pants & drawers & gloves & boots if Eliab has got the leather to make them, a bottle of vinegar & some soft shoe wax. Eliab, I hope you wont have to come in to service under this call. Dick Fowler was over here & took diner with us. He is complaining with his back. I am a shoemaking every day. I could get moore to do than 3 men could do but I go on picket every other night. We had a grand review of our troops on this island last Friday by

(Pg. 4) Major General Beauregard. He looks like old Maj. Whitfield use to. Dear Mother, I dont want you to be uneasy about us for my health is geting good and I have bin stouter since I went to Miss. than I ever was since I had the rheumatism. George is fatning every day. I want you to give our best respects to Aunt Polly, Mrs. Wilson & Miss Jane Vaughn, Mr. Watson & family. J. M. Watson, W. B. Garrett, K. H. Blake are all well. We draw the best rations we have drew for a long time. I must close for the present. We remain your sons & brothers till death. May God continue His many mercies and prepare us for that place not made with hands, eternal in the havens where the wicked cease to rule and the weary are at rest. G. R. & M. V. Barkley
Write all the news good & bad. I sent a letter the mato of Miss. by Hamp Stone. Write if you got it. George ses bring him a pocketbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment