Thursday, April 21, 2011

Letter Dated September 8, 1862, from George Barkley to Josiah and Elizabeth Barkley

This is a copy of a letter dated September 8, 1862, from George Barkley to Josiah and Elizabeth Barkley:



A few years ago I transcribed the letter to the best of my ability. If fresh eyes see some of the words better than I did, please let me know.

Maryland Sept 8, 1862
Dear farther and mother
I am onse more spaired to drop you a few lines which will in forn you that I am well as common hoping these lines may come safe to hand and find you all well. I have a heap to write but not much time to write. We are in Maryland marchin on towards Baltimore. I think there is where they are going. We are in 40 miles of Baltimore and if we keep on we will soon bee there. I dont know how us and the yankyes will make it on their own soil.

(Pg. 2) But I hop we may bee sucessful and I hope peace will be made for I feel like I would like to see old Carolina and my old farther and mother, brothers and sisters again. I have not heard from Martin since I wrote before so I will have to clos for this time. N. B. Ben Ducus got three fingers shot off his left hand and Vehoon got shot in the leg but not bad, so fare well, I hope I will heare from you all soon.
G. B. to farther and Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment