Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Letter Dated February 26, 1862, from J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley to Martin V. Barkley

Here is a copy of a letter dated February 26, 1862, from J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley to Martin V. Barkley:





I transcribed this letter a few years ago as follows. If you see that I transcribed a word incorrectly, I would welcome hearing any corrections.

Feb 26th 1862
Sullivans Island Charleston S.C.
Dear brother, I take this oppertunity of writing to let you know that I am well hoping that theas lines may find you and all the rest well when they come to hand. I received your letter to day and was glad to hear from you all. There is nothing new hear. We have bin lucky to have a fight hear but it hant come yeat. There has bin a fight expected at Savannah but it hant took place yeat as I have heard of they have a little brush every few days down about Johns Island and a little below there, but there hant bin no damag don worth naming. It is said that there was 2 of our men takin prisoner down on Johns Island,

(Pg. 2) but I dont no what the don with them. I was sorry to hear of Reuben Wilson goin back so soon for I am a fraid he cant stand it. I think he had better a staid longer and a got stouter. I would a like to a bin at your muster, you spoak of to a seen H. B. Rogers a took command. I want to know if he maid Pack dress or not. You may tell Mr. Breazeale that his rice is on the way. I had to take a flower barel full of rice. It waide 227 lbs. neat, I got it at 3 1/2 cts pr lbs. I don the best I could for T. W. Major and myself was to gather. Rice has ris sinse I lift to go home. I will pay half that the rice costes and then you

(Pg. 3) and Mr. Breazeale can divide it or I expect that T. W. Major will be at home by the last of this week or the first of next and he will bring a bill of the rice with him. The rice is direct to Mr. Breazeal, it will come to Belton. I want you to be sure and send my lather by James Watson. Tell him to be sure and bring his box with him not to risk the frait to bring it. Tell mother to send me a peace of taller to greese my shoes with. I want you to send all the shoes that you have maid with James for I have sole all I brout with me and could a sole 100 pair if I had a had them. I have bin mending shoes all day to day and hant got dun.

(Pg. 4) My soal leather is almost gawn for I have don a heep of mending sinse I have got back. We have drawed our money to day but it ant paid out. I will try and send you some money by T. W. Major when he comes. As for the chang of the name of the regmt I no nothing about it. I think it will go by the name of Orrs Regt but it may be changed but I hant heard it. M. N. Gambrell, L. T. Scott & Wm. Turner & Wm. Leavell & T. W. & J. M. Fowler & R. E. Cartee & E. J. Hay is all well. I will have to come to a close. Give my best respects to all the neighbors and freind, so no more but remanes your brother till death, J.B.O. Barkley / Martin V. Barkley
Write soon and let me know all the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment