Friday, April 22, 2011

Letter Dated June 20, 1863, from Eliab Hazard and Anna Loucinda Barkley to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley

This is a copy of a letter dated June 20, 1863, from Eliab Hazard and Anna Loucinda Barkley to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley:


I transcribed the letter a few years ago. If fresh eyes see something a little differently than I did, please let me know.

June 20, 1863
South Carolina Anderson District
Dier brother, wee tak this oppertunity of writing to you to let you know that wee ar tolreble well hoping this may com to hand and find you well. Wee reseeved a letter from you Friday and was glad to hear from you and to hear you had landed saif. I was sorrow to hear that the Dr. was goin to trie to straiton your leg for i think you can not stand that for i think it wold bee more painfoul to you to have that dun then it was when you was first wounded. If I was you i wold not have it dun tho doo as you pleas. Wee have not heard from the boys sence you left hear. As for that shou thredd you nead not git it for i know you think it will bee a hard bargin and I think so my self. Thar has nothing accurd sence you left hear. I will have stop writing as your mother is goin to writ. She is so mutch apposed to havin your leg straton, so no more, E. H. and A. L. Barkley to J. B. O. Barkley.

No comments:

Post a Comment