Sunday, April 17, 2011

Letter Dated September 3, 1861, from William Barkley to Josiah M. and Elizabeth Barkley

Here is a copy of a letter dated September 3, 1861, from William Barkley to Josiah M. and Elizabeth Barkley:



Once again, I am posting my transcription from a few years ago. I welcome fresh eyes that may see things a little differently than I did back then.

Cherokee County Ala
September 3rd 1861
Dear Brother and family and Sister,
I now propose to write you a few lines that you may know that I am still numbered among the living tho am just geting up out of a severe spell of sickness. The flux has raged extensively in our county for the last six weeks or two months causing a great many deaths but has now pretty much abated. Joseph Martin died in April 11th day not of flux however. Wm. H. Barkley's oldest son Wm. T. W. son four years old died 18th of July of flux. Samuel M. Barkley my son died 11th of August of flux and many of the neibourhood died of flux (unity?) Wilson is now sick tho better. In answer to your inquiry about the names of Wm. and Andrews children I answer Williams, Anna Elizabeth, Hannah Vashti, William Thomas Washington, Asa Lafayette, of Andrews, William John Haley, Cynthia Anna, Andrew Jackson. You ask who and how many of our connection is in camps. Draton Lafayette Rains is in the service and prehaps Banister Rains. H. F. M. Wilson is in the service. Yet so very many of us but we are all Southern men no love of living to see the South subjugated. Our crops of wheat was fair average, our corn is excelent. We think we can keep our soldiers in good fighting order for two years on the crop we now have on hand.

(Pg. 2) I receive a letter from Polly Barkley and her daughter Sarah Carter, also from Micayah Trap Walker, also James Wilson. You will please show them this letter as it is designed for you all. Also George Washington Manly. I am now old almost 77 years. I do not feel like I should ever feel able to travel to S.C. again but would be glad to see any and all of you. These you know is war times. Consequently money is scarce but we have plenty to eate, drink and ware however salt and coffee is hard to get but we can do with coffee and can make salt within our Confederacy, plenty in fact. I do not believe that there is a spot upon the face of this green earth the sise of the Southern Confederacy that can come nearer producing every essential for the support of human nature than this Confederacy can. I have now written all I can think of and perhaps as much as you can read. I therefore close asking however that you write soon and often. Direct to Blue Pond Cherokee County Alabama.
Yours as ever,
William Barkley to Josiah M. Barkley and Elizabeth Barkley

No comments:

Post a Comment