Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Letter Dated February 23, 1862, from Reuben Wilson to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley

Here is a copy of a letter dated February 23, 1862, from Reuben Wilson to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley:


A few years ago I transcribed the letter as follows. I welcome any corrections.

South Carolina Anderson Dist Feb 23rd 1862
Dear friend
As I expect to leave to morrow I thought I would drop you a hurried line which leaves me well hoping when they come to your hand they may find you enjoying the same. I have nothing of importance to write at this time. I see an account of those 13000 prisoners that should have been taken at Nashville have cut their way through to Nashville with the loss of 2500 on our side and six thousand on the enemy tho. Weather has been so bad that I did not make the trip we was talking about; but I hope this wil not be the last opportunity I will have. Kennedy Blake got home last Thursday. He is bad off; with pain in his back. I got a letter from Dr. Knight last Friday dated the 12th of this month, he was well & says the health of the camp is tolerable with the exceptions of colds. When you get these lines answer it at Manassas. You must excuse my short letter as I have put it off until to day and have a good deal of company. Give my love to all the boys and retain the same. I remain as ever your devoted friend, Reu. Wilson to J. B. O. Barkley

No comments:

Post a Comment