Friday, April 22, 2011

Letter Dated March 15, 1863, from Daniel Dendy to his Sister

Here is a copy of a letter dated March 15, 1863, from Daniel Dendy to his sister:



A few years ago I transcribed the letter as follows. If you see anything I transcribed incorrectly, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Camp Jeter Diascon Bridge
New Kent County Va March 15 1863
Dear Sister,As it has been some time since I last wrote I seat myself this P.M. to let all know that I am well at this time. I have just returned to camp from picket. I was out three days and it snowed every day. We had a false alarm from one of the posts in about one mile of the one I was in comand of. They reported to me that the enemy was gone up the Garrett Rode and was cutting us off from camp. You ought to have seen us leave it all prove to be false. I know of nothing new to write. R. F. Spearman has been quite sick for the last week but he is better to day. We are pretty hard up for provisions at times. We got a smal box to day in our mess or rather Mr. Coleman with nice ham and some lard. It was quite a treat indeed. I was very sorry to hear of the discontentmen in the family on account of the sale of Bill. Has Pa succeeded in geting him back. I hear that the money was counterfeit that Walter paid for him. I am in hopes he is back home before this. You wanted know I gave the hat to. I gave it to J. A. Hill, fits verry well. The yanks had just given

(Pg.2) Thomas Hill a chase and made lose his hat so Joseph gave the old black to Tom. I want you to take special care of my old hats that I left home. Such as they are sells for $25.00 in Richmond and gose up every day. Has Papa ever got my saddle from Chappells Depot. I sent it by F. Scurry. Did you receive the letter with Franks money in it. I sent the letter by F. Scurry care of A. M. Smith. I and Silas Walker sold the Yankee horse for $300.00 three hundred dollars. We had to $150 for him the appraisement Gen. Wise said that returned to the Goverment that was captured or appraised and their value sent so Col. Tabb said we must have him appraised after giving it to us. When is Bob Hill coming out to join us. It is reported in camp that we will be sent back to No. Ca. in a few days but camp tales are so erronious we know not what to believe. We cannot be badly worsted. We have very arduous duty to perform in the way of picket, short rations for both man and horse. We have so far to hall it in wagons from the station. Is Sister Mary going to school this year and John and ?? to. I must close as it is raining and so dark I cannot see to write. Write soon. Nothing more but remain your affectionate brother, Daniel Dendy.

No comments:

Post a Comment