Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Letter Dated June 23, 1862, from George R. and Martin V. Barkley to Eliab Hazard Barkley

This is a copy of a letter dated June 23, 1862, from George R. and Martin V. Barkley to Eliab Hazard Barkley:



I transcribed the letter as follows. Please let me know if I made a mistake so that I may correct it.

James Island June 23rd 1862
Dear Brother, I write you a few lines to let you know that I am tolerble well hoping these lines may find you well. I returnd from picket yesterday almost eat up with the musqueters and junippers. They are the worst I ever saw. They can nip you threw your coat & shirt. I would like to a had you a long when we left Arsenol green. You never heard such

(Pg. 2) hollowing in your life. We hear that William N. Watson is at home. If we cant get to come home we will get him to bring our clothing to us but I hope we will get to come home to our old sweat home once moore. We are tired of this place. We want you Eliab to make us a pair of shoes apiece. George wants his maid the old fashion. I want mine high up & water proof. Write soon, I will close for the present.
G. R. & M. V. Barkley

No comments:

Post a Comment