Sunday, April 17, 2011

Letter Dated March 11, 1861, from William P. Traynham to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley

Several years ago I acquired copies of Civil War era letters to and from my Barkley family from a collection housed at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Here is a copy of a letter dated March 11, 1861, written by William P. Traynham to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley:


If you click on the image of the letter, you can get to a larger copy of it. My transcription of the letter done several years ago follows. I welcome fresh eyes which may see something I didn't.

South Carolina, Laurens Dist, March 11, 1861
Dear frend I take my pen in hand to drope you a few lines to let you & all the rest know that we ar all well and well pless with our home hoping when this comes to hand it will find you all in lake manor. I recived your letter you wish to know if I will let Mrs. Barkley goe in my house. She has leave to goe in if she will give place whene ask to and take care of the house well and all that is on the pace and you must see that no gree timber is destroid as I know not how sune I may sell it. I will traid it for a smell negor. You must pay my tax or Rubin Willson and send the rest of the money to me or to mothey Avary and you will oblige. I have to stay at home of a night. We have had the chance of going to see eny of our connection sense Chrismas. We live at home and bord at the same place. Yours respectley, William P. Traynham to J.B.O. Barkley
NB Write and come when you can & all the rest. The sociation will be in fore miles of your house, so ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment