Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Letter Dated March 9, 1862, from J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley to M. V. "Martin" Barkley

Here is a copy of a letter dated March 9, 1862, from J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley to M. V. "Martin" Barkley:





I transcribed this letter a few years ago to the best of my ability then, but if fresh eyes see something I got wrong, please feel free to let me know. Thanks!

March 9th 1862 S.C.
Sullivans Island Charleston
Dear brother, I take my pen in hand to let you know I am well with the exception of a bad coal that I have had for 3 or 4 days, but Im better of it hoping that the lines may find you and all the rest well when they come to hand. I hant nothing of interest to write to you for all is quiet heare. I hear of ther fighting in Tennessee but I recon you heare that as soon as I do. Martin, the boys are wanting shoes heare very much. I want you to send 4 or 5 pair down heare as soon as

(Pg. 2) you can. Send No. 8 and No. 9, that suits the most of the boys. There is 4 or 5 that is a waiting for you to send and has the money to pay for them. I want you to have the shoes ready and send them by H. B. Arnold when he comes back and I think he will leave if he gits able about the 18 or 19 of this month so have them ready and Berry will fetch them to me. I want you to git me another side of soal lather and have it ready to send to me for the one you sent to me I have cut a rite smart off of it and I doant want to git out of

(Pg. 3) lather. Yeastarday I mended 4 pair of boots and shoes and didint git don by 3 or 4 pair what had come in. The first chance I have I will send you $20. and I may starte it to day if I have a chance to send it by aney boddy. I woant risk it by mail. I want you to make all the shoes you can and bring down hear when you come and if you do not git the chance to come, make all you can and send along and I will sell them for you and send you the money. That is if you can hoald your own at the price I sell at.

(Pg. 4) Wm. Turner, M. N. Gambrell, & L. J. Scott & William Leavell, J. M. Watson, J. W. & J. M. Fowler & R. E. Cartee & E. J. Hay is all well with the exception of coal on last Friday. We had a skiff of snow and it give the most of us a considerable coal. J. M. Watson sais he will write to you in a few days. Give my best respect to all the neighbors and friends, so no moure but remaning your loving brother till death,
J. B. O. Barkley to M. V. Barkley
Write soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment