Monday, April 25, 2011

Letter Dated November 8, 1863, from J. M. Watson to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley

Here is a copy of a letter dated November 8, 1863, from J. M. Watson to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley:



A few years ago I transcribed the letter as follows. I welcome fresh eyes; please let me know if you see something differently.

Camp of 18th S. Ca. November 8th 1863
Mr. J. B. O. Barkley, dear sir, I seat my self this eevning to drop you a few lines & inform you that I am well and hoping these few lines may reach you and find you well and doing well. I hav nothing new to rite at this time. I hav bin looking for you to come down for a long time but it looks like you ar not a comin and i thought i would giv you a few lines. The times a round heare is a bout as they hav bin for some time. They are not shelling as much as they hav bin. I am in hops they will stope there foolishness down heare. I wish I could get home and fly round the girls with you but I racon you hav quit flying round the girls an gone to nursing. I want to no whether you have ever seen youre boy or not.

(Pg. 2) I would giv any thing to see youre boy but i think he is a fine boy and I want you to take good care of him for you no that boys are a going to bee scarce and will bee needed whin this ware endes. I want you to come down as soon as you can and see us. We hav a heep of fun down heare. Neal, I am geting as fat as a bare and I feel like flying a round the girls. I want you to right soon as you get this and news and fear not righting sooner, so I will close, nothing moor at this time, only remain youre friend till deth.
J. M. Watson
J. B. O. Barkley

No comments:

Post a Comment