Friday, April 22, 2011

Letter Dated February 18, 1863, from William Turner and A. Campbell to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley

Here is a copy of a letter dated February 18, 1863, from William Turner and A. Campbell to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley:



I transcribed the letter a few years ago and am posting it here. If fresh eyes see something a little differently, please let me know.

February 18th 1863
Camp Gregg near the Rappahannock, Va.
Dear friend, I seat my self to drop you a few lines to let you no that I am well and doing tolerble well. I received your letter that you wrote to me when you was at the hospitle requesting me to take your clos and sell them. I don so and sent your money home with mine. I sold all of your close that came in my box except one scarf that Frankford Scott took and said he would pay you what you ask for it. Your knapsack has bin lost. I took some of your paper and envelops and brout them to this camp and sold them with your other things. Times hear is hard, we only git quater rashens to eat and some times not that. We hav some cold weather hear. We hav a snow hear now a bout six inchise fell yesterday. This morning it is a raining. We hav bin a looking for a battle hear for the last two weeks. I think this will stop it for a while. Well I will begin a gain. I had to stop writting to go and git one of my teeth pouled and I hav got it out and now I can write with some satis faction. The boys is all as well as common. Capt. Moor gives his best respects to you and wishes you grate luck and hopes you will be well in a few weeks. Capt. Moore has just bin releaved at this minute

(Pg. 2) with out any trial and he is a bout mad a nough. J. J. Lolless come from the housepitle yesterday, his hand is not well yet and he ses it wont be well in two months. I would be glad to be at home and go to see you and hear you talk a bout the girls and drink some good old honey and brandy. You may tell Mr. Barkley that I haven't got old Abe's coat buttons yet but some of his men lack to have got mine but as it hapent I come out saif with out a scratch. Neal, I would lack to see you when you get able to go over and see your little boy. I heard that they had named it after you. If you see any of my people you may tell them that I am well. You musent git mad at my sake but if I could see you I could tell you more than I could write in a week. I will come to a close, so no more but remain yours until death, Mr. J. B. O. Barkley from Wm. Turner.
Write soon if you pleas and let me no how you are a giting a long and all of the nuse both good and bad.

Mr. J. B. O. Barkley,
I will write you a few lines, I am fat and hearty as a pig. Beef and bread is most too good for poore folks like us. I am glad to hear you hav got home but dont do like some of the boys, marry before you leave. We are getting along finely. Turner I guess has given you all the news I will ad noune at this time - give my respects to all enquiring friends. W. E. Pagett sends his respects to you. Capt. J. B. M. restored to his command. A. Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment