Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Letter Dated December 23, 1863, from William Willis Slatten to George Slatten

This is a copy of a letter dated December 23, 1863, from William Willis Slatten to George Slatten:



I transcribed the letter a few years ago. Fresh eyes may see something a little differently, and I would appreciate hearing about it if they did.

Camp McGouen Virginia, Dec. the 23, 1863,
Dear Son, with pleasure this morning I seat my self to drop you a few lines to let you know that I am well as comon at this time truly hoping these will reach you in due time & find you well and all the rest. I have nothing strange to write to you. All is quiet with us now. It is now snowing and I am bar footed and I want you to go to Elip Barkley and see if you can git him to make me a pair of shoes and if he can I want then to take them to Alphred Neale by the 16 of next month and he will send them by his boy Jim. Write to me as soon as you git this letter and let me know the price of them.

(Pg. 2) and I will send the money by the first one passing. If he can do so, he will oblige a friend. Make them No. 11 and very high quarters and rais them tolorable well. Write to me a little oftener than you have bin doing for I have not received a letter in over a month and I feel like ther was something the matter. So nothing more but remains your father until death, W. W. Slaten to his son George.

No comments:

Post a Comment