Friday, April 22, 2011

Letter Dated March 14, 1863, from Nancy King to Jasper King

Here is a letter dated March 14, 1863, from Nancy King to Jasper King:



I transcribed the letter a few years ago as follows. If fresh eyes see a word a little differently than I did, please let me know.

March th 14 1863
Dear Jasper, I am once more spaired to write you a few lines to let you now wee are all well at this time hopeing those lines may reach yore distant hands and find you well. I have nothing new to write at this time only I am nearly distracted to hear from you. I have not got a leter from you since the one you wrote the 8 of febuary. It is seventeen days now since I herd from you. You shorley could write to me evry week for that is all the satisfaction I have is to get leters from you if I can't see you. It is a great pleasure to me to hear from you. I herd to day that thare was a batle at Kinston last Saturday but I did not hear no particulars a bout it. I hope you was not in it but I will be weary till I hear.

(Pg. 2) Yore Mother and family is all well. Your Mother ses she never did want to see you as bad. We have very prety weather at this time to work. It is no use to say to you I want to see you for you now that but I never did want to see you as bad. I dreamed last night of seeing you. I thought you was at home. I can see as well how you looked. I thought you looked sweet and prety as ever. I wish my dream would come to pass. So I will bring my few lines to a close for this time. I will write more when I hear from you. This makes three leters I have wrote you in march and got nary one from you. Write to me often as you can. It does me so much good to hear from you. Write evry week any how and I will try to do the same. Remain yore loveing wife, Nancy King to Jasper King

No comments:

Post a Comment