Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Letter Dated March 7, 1862, from Reuben Wilson to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley

Here is a copy of a letter dated March 7, 1862, from Reuben Wilson to J. B. O. "Neal" Barkley:



A few years ago I transcribed the letter as follows. If fresh eyes see something differently, I would welcome hearing any corrections.

Camp Wigfabull Hampton Legion
March 7th 1862
Dear friend,
I received a letter from you yesterday dated the 2nd and was happy to hear from you. I got to the camps last Sunday about twelve oclock. I tell you Virginia is a hard road to travel. We lay over one day in Richmond. The bridge across James river was blown up or broken down so that we had to get off in Chester. We then had some two miles to go & it was apouring down rain. I tell you we had aright sloppy time of it. I enjoyed myself fine while Richmond. We took the cars again Friday morning. We got such a dreadful account of Manassas that we concluded to get off at Bristo some four miles before we got to Manassas. We arrived at Bristo about sunset aFriday evening which left us about the same distance as when at Manassas. We went over to Brentsville some three miles from Bristo and remained there until Saturday evening. We then set out for Bacon Race a distance of twelve miles. We got there about eight oclock Saturday night which left us about the same distance to go the next morning. It is hardly worth while to try to describe the roads as you could have no definite ideia unless you could see them. When we left Brentsville Saturday the ground was frozen pretty hard but (page torn) but it would brake every few steps and when ever it did we was certain

(Pg. 2) to go in up to our knees and sometimes deeper. Asunday every thing was frozen so and the roads was cut up so it was like walking on round rocks all the way. It commenced snowing on us Sunday before we got to camps and continued until late in the evening. It was the largest snow I have ever seen. It then set in to raining in the night and continued until Tuesday evening. I found most of the boys enjoying tolerable good health with the exception of two or three: James Burdine was taken yesterday with asevere attact of pneumonia. I stood my trip fine and feel well as ever if I can only maintain it. I find we have agood deal more to do than when I was here in the fall. They have picketing or other fatigue duty to do every day. I have not done any duty yet from the fact I blistered my feet so a getting here that I have not been able to wear my boots but they are in about well. We are expecting afight every day. We are in two miles of the enemy. I can hear their drums every day. We had alittle fight Tuesday night with our pickets & theirs. We killed ten of them & they killed one of ours or wounded him so he is oblige to die and wounded another slightly in the hand. I was surprised when I heard of Ellen's wedding as I thought she could adone very well without confineing herself so closely but I had better not say any more on that subject. I hope the time will soon come when we may return to our home in peace and enjoy the blessings of life as we have hents fore done. I would write more but it is extremely cold & I have no chance to write only on my knees. Dr. Knight sends you his best respects; give (page torn) to (torn) acquaintance & retain the same. I remain as ever your (torn) to J. B. O. Barkley

No comments:

Post a Comment