Friday, April 22, 2011

Letter Dated December 18, 1862, from Daniel Dendy to his Sister

Here is a copy of a letter dated December 18, 1862, from Daniel Dendy to his sister. Actually the letter looks to be dated Dec. 18/26, but surely the 2 and 6 are transposed.



I transcribed the letter a few years and am posting that here. If anyone sees where I transcribed a word in error, please let me know.

Camp Cane
Ft. Andrews Parish Dec. 18/26
Dear Sister,
I drop you a few lines to let you all know that I am well at present. Hoping those lines may find you all enjoying the same blessing. There is a great deal of excitement about Charleston. The yankeys have landed on South Ediston Island yesterday. The threw bums amongst our rifle regment as they were on Dress Parade and their Col. gave them orders to retreat. I understand they have landed on Johns Island. We are under orders to march in the morning to Pon Pon which is about 15 miles from this place. We are now about eight miles from Charleston S.C. We came down

(Pg.2) from Columbia Saturday night, arrived in Charleston at 2 a.m. We get plenty of pickeld beef to eat which is very salty. Our horses have suffered for something to eat since we left home. I have seen two regments pass hear this week going down to meet the yankeys. One team of Va. Reg. passed to day. We are under Col. Stephens, Holcombs Legeon. John C. Williams Company belongs to the same legeon. I saw Samuel & the two Isaacs yesterday. Well, Sister, I must close as the boys want to go to bed. Write soon direct to Charleston care of Caldwell Blakely Co. Newberry Rangers, Holcombs Legeon. Nothing more, your brother. Give my love to all of the family. D. Dendy

No comments:

Post a Comment